The Russell PneumoFix® is a sterile decompression needle designed for the removal of fluid from the pleural cavity by appropriately trained medical professionals.
Designed by practicing clinicians who understand the limitations of conventional equipment, the Russell PneumoFix™ has the following features:
- For medical professionals, use of the Russell PneumoFix™ is quick, simple and intuitive.
- Unlike the intravenous cannula, used historically in an improvised way for the management of tension pneumothorax, the Russell PneumoFix™ is designed specifically for this purpose.
- The Russell PneumoFix™ has been designed to be inserted without the need for a scalpel or skin incision.
- The device incorporates a Veress-tipped needle to minimize risk of injury to lung tissue.
- 11cm long catheter – long enough to reach the pleural cavity of the vast majority of patients.
- Low pressure one-way valve – to allow air and fluid out but nothing in.
- Graduated markings and X-ray detectable catheter – for depth recording and accurate localization at hospital.
- 12-Gauge catheter– allows for rapid venting of air in tension pneumothorax
- Material chosen which minimizes the risk of kinking of the catheter.